Saturday, August 7, 2010

My Writing: Then and Now

This post comes just as most of mine do, my mind has been focused on my writing. As I mentioned in a previous post I volunteer writing devotions for teen girls for FindYourTrueBeauty.com, and the first edition of the devotional book was recently published. These devotions have been available for free online for sometime now, and I love that I am able to help these teen girls and I really just enjoy writing them.

I originally started writing them because I volunteer with another website Circle of Moms, more specifically their Christian Mommies community, and a mom had asked for recommendations for devotions for their teen daughter. Well, after an internet search I found nothing that was really suitable for a teen girl! I found tons of sites saying they were devotions for teen girls, but after reading a few I thought back to my high school years and they really would have been boring and not relative to me at all. I was already volunteering for Shelley's ministry, and suggested to her that she added a devotional segment to her website. I never dreamed that she would ask me to head it up! I have been working with her on this project for about 6 months now, and it has been wonderful. I haven't been able to put nearly the amount of time into that I want to, but I am hoping that with homeschooling I will be able to schedule time for writing into my day.

That's where my writing has been, now where is it going? I have this growing desire to write devotions for moms. The more I write for teens, the more my desire to write for moms grows. Much like my search for teen devotions, I have been searching online, and in book stores for devotions for moms that I can refer other moms to who have been asking me, and I am coming up short. I have found a few that are okay. I have a book that I am enjoying that came with my homeschooling curriculum, but it would only work for homeschooling moms. I get several devotions e-mailed to me, and they are all wonderful and different days, however I rarely have time to read through all of them to find the one that speaks to me. I guess that is the problem with devotions. You have to find one that is a match to you, and I haven't found one that works for me. So my solution is to write my own. I haven't started yet, but I am seriously thinking about it. My husband is encouraging this idea. He thinks that I am an amazing writer (though I'm not sure if he has ever read anything I have written, lol). It's wonderful to have his support.

I would love to hear your thoughts... Do you know of any good devotional books or sites for moms?

To read a sample of a devotion for teen girls that I wrote click here and scroll down.

No comments:

Post a Comment