Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Christmas Cards


“Where is the one who has been born king of the Jews? We saw his star when it rose and have come to worship him.” ~Matthew 2:2

I love Christmas cards! My favorites are always the ones that include Scripture and tell of the love of our Savior. It's always fun receiving mail that you actually want, even if it does come in the mailbox accompanied by tons of junk mail. This reminds me so much of the Christmas message. Jesus came into a world full of junk. He was delivered in a stable because the town was too busy to make room for Him. He lived His life here on earth, then He died for our sins. This Christmas season, I can't help but think that He has turned into something like a greeting card. We can joyfully rejoice in finding Him in our lives, but how many of us set Him off to the side, maybe even display Him, but focus more on the rest of the mail that came with Him. We want Him and the junk that was in the box. We don't take the time to sort it out and discard what doesn't belong. In the process our houses or lives become cluttered, and it's hard to see where we are going or accomplish even the simplest task because of all the junk. We look over at our Jesus Christmas card and wonder why He is letting things go so wrong, when all He wants is for us to realize that it isn't because of Him, but the junk that we allowed in with Him.

This Christmas I want to be more discerning about the things that come into my home. I want to take this time, the time we celebrating the rising of His star and I want to choose to worship Him. When the magi traveled from the east, they weren't putting Jesus to the side, He was their main thought, their whole purpose. I want to be like that. I want Jesus to be the center of this holiday, not just a card on the mantle.

For more Word-Filled Wednesday posts, please visit the internet cafe:




I would love for you to join me by posting your favorite Christ centered Christmas song. My personal goal is to post a different Christ-centered Christmas song each day between now and Christmas. (The only rule is that it has to be Christ-centered. No songs about Santa, Christmas trees or whatever...)

2 comments: