Saturday, November 12, 2011

Christmas Cards & Santa Dollars

We got our first Christmas card this week. I must admit that I was thouroughly disappointed in it. The front of the card displayed a beautiful picture of the nativity scene, but once you opened the card there was no sign of Jesus. In fact, it attributed God's qualities to Christmas. Here's what the inside said:

"May you have...
The Spirit of Christmas which is peace.
The Gladness of Christmas which is hope.
The Heart of Christmas which is love."

My heart sunk as I read those words, for peace is a fruit of the Holy Spirit, not Christmas. In fact, today's Christmas is anything but peaceful.

Our hope is in Christ. It comes from Him, not from Christmas. While Christmas was the time of Christ's birth, our hope is in His ressurection.

We are suppose to love God with all our heart, with all our soul and with all our minds, because God IS love.

Am I being legalistic and reading too much into this? Maybe. But it just hurts so much when I see my savior being pushed to the side. This card actually came from a ministry organization. When professing Christians can't even mention their Savior in their Christmas cards, there is something wrong. Besides the normal printing inside the card, there was also some print that was suppose to resemble their handwritten note. But not even it mentioned our Savior. If this truly is the time that we celebrate HIS birth, why can't we talk about HIS birth?

All of this has been magnified by the fact that I found out this week that the new Santa dollars have replaced the words "In God We Trust" to "In Santa We Trust". It's so fitting for this time of year, and I bet tons of people won't be bothered by this at all, but I am. My trust is not in the lie of Santa, it is in the Way, the Truth and the Life, Jesus Christ. My Savior is my hope, for nothing else is worthy, especially not the make believe Santa.

5 comments:

  1. Heather, you won something in my giveaway. Come check out what you won. Congrats!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, wow! I didn't even know about Santa Dollars, had to look them up, but it's sad that the currency "changed" to suit a lie. You asked if you were being legalistic and I have found one thing that might help you decide...what is the motivation behind this? Is it from God? If God laid this on your heart then I cannot believe it's legalistic. Anyway, agree that it is very sad about the card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christ is mentioned in every line of that card look again and youll see, , help others see the true meaning of Christmas, santa is but a tool to do that.................

    ReplyDelete
  4. We obviously disagree, and that's okay. This is my blog, where I share my views. Please don't be offended, I am just very jealous for my God. I don't want Him to have to share His praises, and when they change "In God We Trust" to "In Santa We Trust" obviously a line has been crossed, and we are praising Santa instead of Christ.

    ReplyDelete