Wednesday, February 15, 2012

New Bible Study!

"in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make straight your paths."
~Proverbs 3:6

I'm so excited about my new Bible Study! It took quite a while to figure out which one I wanted to do, but I'm confident at this point that I chose the right one. A dear friend of mine and I are studying Elizabeth George's book "A Woman After God's Own Heart". My books came in late last week, and I have just been digging right in!

While We have only finished the first chapter, I have already learned so much. We're going through this very slowly so that we can digest the information and apply it to our lives. Here are some of the notes that I have made so far:

"Good, better, best,
never let it rest,
until your good is better,
and your better is best."

This little saying was accompanied by a powerful story of choosing God's best for our lives. While we make some choices that are good, we could make better choices, and even then, there is always a best choice. It definitely made me stop to think about if my choices were merely good, or the best that they could be.

The growth and study guide had some great questions to take us deeper into the book. We had to look up the definitions of 'priority' and 'worship'. Then list 5 actions that would help us make worship a priority. Here's my 5 things:

  1. Have a daily quiet time each morning.
  2. Read my Bible each night.
  3. Read to the boys out of our Bible book each night before bed.
  4. Memorize Scripture!
  5. Listen to/ sing along with a worship CD each day.

I'll let you know how I did on those later...

The theme for this weeks study was the story of Mary and Martha recorded in Luke 10:38-42. A quick summary of what we learned was that while serving God is good, stopping to sit at His feed and worship Him is even better (our memory verses for the week are Proverbs 3:6 and Luke 10:42).

The biggest impact made on me during the first chapter was written in the form of a question. It essentially said:
"Am I in awe of God and what He wants to do in me, for me, and through me?"

So that is the question that I leave you with today. Are you in awe of what God has in store for you? 

2 comments:

  1. Guess what? Found a copy of this book at the resale shop today. You've piqued my interest, so can't wait to read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving it! It's really good!

    ReplyDelete