Friday, April 19, 2013

The TV Delima

Mr. Amazing has a wonderful job working for the local phone company. They also do internet and television, so we were blessed with free cable. Although I'm not sure "blessed" is the right word. Mr. Amazing and I debated it for several months before I finally caved and let them install our free cable and I still have really mixed feelings about it. 

On the one hand, I love Bubble Guppies. They are so darn cute! Also, we use to live off of library movies, but the local library here doesn't have a huge selection, and none of them are really what I want the kids to be watching. But on the other hand, there are so many things on TV that I don't want my kids exposed to. They all learned the very first day that we would NEVER watch Sponge Bob in this house. If I ever catch them watching it, the TV will be gone within seconds. They have diligently obeyed that rule.

And then there are shows like Max and Ruby. Max is this chubby little rabbit who likes mud pies and is being raised by his big sister, Ruby. Max is a bad little rabbit. He directly disobeys his sister on every show that I've seen, and what does she do? She laughs at his disobedience. At first, I was awed by her kind spirit, but now I'm seeing a different side of it. He continually disobeys because he gets away with it - I mean, wouldn't you? If you knew you didn't have to listen to what your mom/adult in your life said because she'd just laugh if you did it anyway? I might even disobey to get her to laugh. The show is teaching the worst kind of sin. Selfishness and disobedience. 

Admission: I really thought that Ruby was Maxes mom, but apparently they don't have parents, just a grandmother who visits on occasion... I'm not sure if that makes the whole thing better or worse.

Have any of you seen this show? What are your thoughts on it? What shows do you let your children watch on TV?

No comments:

Post a Comment