Friday, October 11, 2013

My New Favorite Author: Jody Hedlund

I blogged over at BooklyBooks.com today that my all-time favorite author is Lori Wick - but she hasn't released any new books in years, and most of her books aren't even in print anymore. So I had to start reading books by... *gulp* other authors. It was scary - and sometimes still is. But I've found a new favorite author.

Jody Hedlund writes historical fiction at its finest. She has 5 books available right now - and more on the way. One of my favorite parts of each of Jody's books is the author's note. These books aren't just set in a historical time period, many of them are based off real people from history.

John Adams, John Bunyan, Marcus Whitman - these are all famous men from history that are the heros in some of Hedlunds book. When you read the author's note at the end, you get to discover who you're reading about and which parts of the book were true, and which ones weren't. 

They are like little history lessons in the funnest package ever! I've often wondered if this is because Hedlund homeschools...  

I actually first discovered Jody through her blog. Then I won a copy of her second book, The Doctor's Lady from a giveaway. I promptly bought her first book once I'd finished it (the day after it arrived). Jody's books aren't short - but they are gripping and hard to put down.  

I've listed her books below with a short review of each one:




This novel is set in a puritan community in England in the 1650s. Hedlund gives you a glimpse at what life was really like for them. Life wasn't easy for the traveling preacher, or the young woman who stepped up to help out with his children - but this novel will have you rooting for them every step of the way.




Hedlund started this book with the historical account of the first two american women to cross the continental divide and creatively weaved fact and fiction into this captivating novel. The characters weren't always likable - but they were real. When reading the book, I felt their feelings deep in my soul. This is true historical fiction.




Unlike Jody's other books, this one isn't based off real people, but instead took on a real problem. Human trafficking. This historical romance exposes it for what it is in a way that is as tactful as possible. Set in 1883 Michigan, this book weaves romance and sibling devotion in a way I've never seen before. It's hard to write books that haven't been written before - but Hedlund nails it yet again.




Hedlund's 4th book doesn't disappoint. Set in 1881 in Michigan, this novel takes place in a small german community and tells the tale of a nobleman hiding as a farmer. The only disappointing thing? It's only 369 pages and I finished it in under 24 hours. I could hardly put it down!




Jody's most recent book was her best yet! Weaving the story of one historic couple with other events from the time period, this book was historical fiction at its finest. In 1763, Susannah Smith longs for the education that she's denied because she's female. Ben Ross is a poor farm boy and lawyer who's battling injustice. Their worlds collide and history is made. While you're deep within the pages, you'll pick up on some of the horrors of the time period, while the true heros rise to the surface.

I own all five - they rock. I have contemplated donating them to the library... but I'm a book hoarder when it comes to books that I like - and I REALLY like these! You can learn more about Jody by visiting her website at: http://jodyhedlund.com/ or on her Amazon Author page here.


Today, I'm linking up with the Reader's Favorite Blog Hop going on over at BooklyBooks

Do you have a favorite author? 
We'd love for you to share with us. 
Hop on over and link up at: 


No comments:

Post a Comment