Friday, November 29, 2013

What I Love About Christmas

I have always loved Christmas. The decorations. The love. The food. It’s just a joyous time of year. But can I tell you a secret?

Lean in really close…

I HATE shopping. I know I’m a girl and I’m supposed to enjoy it. But I don’t.

I don’t even like shopping during the regular part of the year, and it’s even worse at Christmas. The stores are packed with people, and even though this is the time of year when everyone is making a big deal about giving and caring – shoppers get nasty. You spend ten minutes trying to get down the canned food isle only to have someone behind you reach around to grab the last can of cranberry sauce. You stand in checkout lines for what seems like hours on end just to purchase that one gift you couldn’t find the first time you went to the store. It’s just not fun.

So last year, I made the decision to start doing all of my Christmas shopping online. The mailman and I became quite close friends during the days leading up to Christmas as he dropped off all my packages – and let me tell you – he was so much more friendly than any checkout attendant.

No lines.

No wait.

Front door service.

I liked it!

Turns out, I’m not the only one that does this. In fact, most businesses have picked up on it and are starting to post their Black Friday specials on their website – pretty cool huh?

One other thing I’ve learned is that books make great Christmas gifts! I love books – so maybe I’m biased. But you can give me a book any time and I’ll be thrilled (they are much preferred to clothes I will never wear or pretty trinkets my kids will break).

Plus, you can wrap them to go under the tree or stuff them in a stocking. They give you options. And, of course, one of those options is to buy them for yourself to read during the holiday season. I like to think of it as the two for you one for me theory. After all, if you order over $35 worth on Amazon you get free shipping. So tacking on that extra one is frugal.

Finding the right books can still be hard, which is why I wanted to let you know about the Clean Reads Holiday Book Sale going on over at BooklyBooks.com. They have over 30 paperback books listed that are on sale Black Friday through Cyber Monday – racking up over $100 in savings. AND they are giving away a $25 Amazon gift card. I’m personally fond of the romance novels, but they have multiple genres (fiction and non) listed. Check it out at: http://www.booklybooks.com/christmas-book-sale/ And I just found out that Amazon is offering an extra 30% off paperback books now through December 1st - awesome timing.

What about you? How do you do your Christmas shopping?

No comments:

Post a Comment