Tuesday, July 24, 2012

In the Midst of Tragedy

I'm assuming that you have all heard about the tragedy that happened here in Denver this past week. Watching the news and knowing that such devastation occurred so close to home is heart wrenching. While our neighbors are still recovering from the devastating wild fires that occurred earlier this month, there is now yet another event to mourn. 

I have refrained from posting much in social media since the day that it happened. Reading through my news feed is almost enough to bring me to tears. While people are sharing the pain from the people that were lost or still in critical condition, others are going to barbecues and celebrating birthdays. I know that this goes on every day, but watching it unfold right before my eyes seems so surreal. Life goes on.

This is the world we live in. A world full of troubles, yet Jesus told us to take heart because He has overcome the world. It's months such as this that I need that reminder. Not just for the big things, but for the little things too. While our state is suffering from both natural and unnatural devastation, there are normal every day troubles as well. Just because my heart hurts for all of those suffering doesn't mean that I can stop being a mom to mourn with them. We all have to carry on. We can weep as we live, but live we must. 

So while this is a time of sorrow for those not just here in Colorado, but around the world as the families and friends affected by these events are scattered across the globe, I have to take heart knowing that Jesus, my sweet Jesus, has overcome the troubles of this world. And that while any of us could die tomorrow in a natural or unnatural disaster, I can place my hope and my trust in Christ alone. We don't have the promise of tomorrow, but we can have the promise of eternity. 


I can't think of anyway to draw my feelings of hurt and hope to a close, so I want to share a link with you. This is the only link I have shared about this latest act destruction is one written by someone who was there. She shared her experience and heart on her blog and her words are wise. I encourage you to read them: http://aminiatureclaypot.wordpress.com/2012/07/20/so-you-still-think-god-is-a-merciful-god/

No comments:

Post a Comment