Monday, July 19, 2010

One of those mornings...

It was one of those mornings. I woke up, ironed my husbands work clothes and hung them in the bathroom for him, took my shower, and wanted nothing more than to go back to bed! The temptation to fulfill that fleshly desire was almost overwhelming, but I knew I had two choices, and each choice would yield different fruit.

Choice number one, give in to temptation, and go back to bed. Oh, how sweet the sound, of just a little extra sleep. That is, until my two year olds, cute as they may be, come in and wake me up. Then I would be cranky for the remainder of the day. I’m one of those people that does much better when I wake up on my own or with an alarm clock, but with a two year old throwing a sippy cup at me… not so much. That little extra sleep would also mean forfeiting my only quiet time with God, and that is a very important part of the day for me. It helps me see things differently, and deal with things differently. Going back to bed would probably also cost me my breakfast, and mean that the dishes wouldn’t get done until after lunch. So in the end, that little bit of extra sleep, would put a negative spin on my entire day, that I don’t always stop to think (or care) about in the mornings.

Choice number two, get a bowl of cereal, a cup (or pot) of coffee, and spend some time with my heavenly Father. While my flesh is craving the extra sleep that it desires, my soul is longing for the nourishment that it needs from my time with the LORD each morning. Plus once I have read the word, and eaten breakfast, I usually am not as tired as I was before. There is always the possibility, (though it doesn’t always become a reality) of a nap in the afternoon. But the reality of breakfast is only a possibility in the morning, and starting my day with God only has one time slot.

So I put aside the fleshly desire to go back to bed and began to pray. And I am so thankful I did. I don’t know what your mornings look like, or if your flesh craves sleep as much as mine, but if you don’t already, I urge you to start your days with God. It is so worth it!

But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh.
Galatians 5:16

1 comment:

  1. I absolutley love this. I am going through a ohase of constantly putting my flesh down. It seems stronger than normal. I am sure me being a little focused more on planning our homeschool year and such and my mind is on overload.

    Oh how quick our flesh can take over. I have been reading for the past few days Galatians 5 and 6. Chock full of flesh fighting power.

    Enjoy your blogs.

    ReplyDelete