Tuesday, November 1, 2011

I Surrender


My attitude always improves after praying. This morning, well, it just wasn't a good morning. In fact, I don't have good mornings often. But the past few weeks, I have just felt defeated. The phrases "I quit", "I don't care" and others like them have been heard often in my home. I know that these are not godly words that will point my children to Christ, but it seems like the harder I have been trying, the harder they have been fighting. So I did quit. God spoke to me today though. He reminded me that when I am weak, He is strong. That is not code for "Suck it up girl!" It's meant to tell me that it's okay to be weak. It's okay to feel defeated, but the attitude I have been having wasn't okay. I wasn't really quitting at all, because I did care. I was still trying to do everything, to be super woman, and I was failing. My attitude didn't stem from being weak, it stemmed from failure. I was not dying to my self, and relying on Christ. I was mad that I couldn't do it all on my own.

That all changed today. Instead of quitting, I surrendered. I surrendered my days to Christ. I will do what He wants me to do, I will be what He want's me to be, I will listen and obey. I have been fighting God for quite sometime now. I have been fighting because my sinful, prideful self, wanted to do it all on my own. I wanted to show the world how great God was, by being perfect FOR Him instead of THROUGH Him. But it doesn't work that way. When we try to do it on our own we will fail. When we try to imitate someone else's walk with Christ instead of letting God direct our paths, we will fail then too. While I freely admit that God has His work cut out for Him in my life, I know that He can do anything, even perfect my stubborn, sinful heart.

There will be a lot of changes in my heart and home over the next few months as God does some house cleaning. I must admit that I am excited to see what comes of it all.

Picture Taken From Christian Clip Art

2 Corinthians 12:10~ That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

2 Corinthians 13:9~ We are glad whenever we are weak but you are strong; and our prayer is for your perfection.

Romans 5:3~ Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance;

3 comments:

  1. This post really blessed me today Heather. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words, Grace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, Heather! The Holy Spirit has done His job and has spoken to me via your blog! I'm about to cry as I think of how much I have failed today. It's because I was trying on my own. O goodness....thank you for writing this and for sharing your heart! It's time for some house cleaning here too! Or more like heart cleaning!

    ReplyDelete