Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The Perfect Parent

Hear, O heavens! Listen, O earth! For the LORD has spoken: “I reared children and brought them up, but they have rebelled against me.
~Isaiah 1:2

I don't know about you, but as a mom, I find so much hope in this verse. God is perfect in every way. Meaning that He is our perfect heavenly Father. Yet in this verse we see that even though He is the perfect parent, we (His children) still rebelled against Him. That gives me hope, because it just reassures me that the  salvation of my children doesn't rest on my shoulders. God gave us free will. If every child He created didn't turn out perfect, how on earth could I expect mine to???


What that means to me is that if I fail as a mom, it's not the end of the world. God was/is the perfect parent, yet His children still rebelled. Therefore, my parenting ability doesn't determine the eternal state of my children (thank you Lord!).  This is why Jesus came. He came because God knew we couldn't do it on our own. I mean, if I can't secure my own salvation, what is it in me that makes me think that I'm responsible for the salvation of my children? When I think about it that way, it just sounds silly. Yet so many times I beat myself up because I'm not the perfect mom. 


I'm very thankful that I don't have to be the perfect parent for my kids to have a perfect Savior. Sometimes I just need God to remind me how much I need Him, and how much He has done for me. It's good to know that I fall short. It's good to know that I'm not expected to be perfect. 

2 comments:

  1. Where would we be without His grace? Thank you for this reminder. As a first-time mom I get discouraged easily! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a mom of four, I still get discouraged easily. Life is HARD! But our God is faithful.

    ReplyDelete