Monday, January 16, 2012

Mr. Monday: A Rose by any other name...


"I am a rose of Sharon, 
   a lily of the valleys."


   
"Like a lily among thorns 
   is my darling among the maidens."
~ Song of Songs 2:1-2

Mr. Amazing brought me a rose last weekend. It was his day off and he took the twins on a milk run while I made breakfast. After a little while the door bell rang. I went to answer it and found one of the sweetest little four year olds in the world standing there holding a beautiful long-stemmed rose. She said "Flower for you, Mommy." It was pretty much the cutest thing ever. She gave me the rose and a kiss, then went into the house. She was followed up the stairs by the other sweetest little four year old who proclaimed: "Mommy! That's you flower!" and then gave me another kiss. It was great. Mr. Amazing followed behind them laden down with groceries. He really is amazing :)

I use to not like getting flowers. I was one of those women that saw them as temporary treasures that eventually died, and when you give them as a picture of love, that isn't very encouraging. However, I love the above verses that Solomon wrote. The maiden says: "I am a rose of Sharon, a lily of the valleys." and her husband responds "Like a lily among thorns is my darling among the maidens." Now that's a great picture of love represented by a rose. 

I encourage you, the next time your Mr. buys you flowers, think about these verses. Remember that he is doing it because to him, you are more precious then anyone else in the world. Like a lily (or rose) among thorns. 

No comments:

Post a Comment