Friday, January 13, 2012

Supernatural Peace

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
~ Philippians 4:4-7

After a long day with 4 kids that have far too much energy for a mom with a kink in her neck, these words aren't exactly easy to read. As I sit in front of the computer with my throat burning from screaming at them for multiple things, my gentleness is not evident. Not to all, and defiantly not to my children. 

With the temptation to feel like a failure building along with the pressing tears, the end of this passage brings hope. "And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." That peace that surpasses all understanding truly is an amazing thing. It's the peace that takes over when I admit my failures, but claim the promises of Christ. It's the peace that washes over me, when I remember that God knew 2000 years ago that I wouldn't be able to be perfect. He knew that I would fall short of being the perfect mom, and He knew that I would need a Savior. Knowing that I'm forgiven brings me that peace. I hope it does the same for you.

While I know that I will not be the perfect parent, ever, I can trust that God will still bring me peace. He will guard my heart and my mind, and grow gentleness within me. Even if it doesn't happen over night, I can trust that it will come, and even when I fail, I can rejoice in the Lord.

2 comments:

  1. So helpful. It is a blessing to be able to sit back after a long, sometimes torturous day of parenting that maybe didn't go well and say to yourself, "I am so glad that I do not have to go through this alone". I had a day like this yesterday. I felt I showed more anger and bitterness than kindness and love to my son. I hated it and felt sick at the end of the day. But there is always a new day. I remember the scene in Fireproof where the main character and his dad are talking under the cross about how Jesus puts up with so much yet he keeps on forgiving and loving us. I am trying to take this approach with my son with the strength Christ and the Holy Spirit gives me. He is the most perfect example for parents.

    How hopeless a person must feel when they don't have this peace. Thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't watched that movie for quite some time now, but I do remember the scene that you are talking about. Such a great parenting goal. I'm trying to learn to be a more grace centered parent, but it's so hard! I'm so thankful that even when I fail to show grace, God doesn't.

    ReplyDelete