Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Adam and Eve and Modesty

I have been reading a ton of articles and blogs about modesty lately, and I found one that brought up the question: does God care about what we wear? (You can read the article here) Her thoughts took her back to the Garden of Eden. Adam and Eve had just realized they were naked and sewn themselves loin coverings out of leaves, God comes on the scene and says this won’t do, He makes them garments out of animal skin to cover them. Why? Because God does care! That was where she skipped to the next topic. My mind doesn’t move that quickly, and I can’t help but dwell on this situation with Adam and Eve.

In the past I have often said that modesty was relevant to what culture you lived in, but when I think about this event with Adam and Eve that doesn’t make any since. At this time there is one man, and one woman on the face of the earth. If the “culture” was all that mattered, than I’m sure that their leaf outfits would have been perfectly acceptable. Or for that matter, I know cultures that run around ¾ naked and don’t think anything of it. Why didn’t God just tell them that being naked wasn’t an issue? Because to Him, it is. Once we gained the knowledge of good and evil, and sin entered the world, modesty became an issue that God took serious. Which is why, I believe, He went so far as to make clothing for Adam and Eve. He didn’t just instruct them on how to do it, He did it for them! That tells you how important this was to Him.

I have been thinking about it for a while now, little things bring it back to my mind. Once it was while I was down town with my family. My husband runs a Quiznos in the heart of down town Denver. I saw this girl walking down the street and I couldn’t help but wonder if the clothing that Adam and Eve had sewn out of the leaves had looked something similar to the outfit that she had on… That’s the way that our society is headed…that’s what our husbands, sons, and other men have to see every day when they go out of our homes. I am deeply saddened that I use to be part of that problem. The fleshly part of me is grieved by the thought that with everything that my husband sees every day that he has to come home to someone as boring as me, but one quick conversation with him eased my mind. He is very thankful that first and foremost that he doesn’t have to share me with the world’s eyes, and secondly, he doesn’t find me boring in the slightest! I love my husband!

I don’t know what your stand on modesty is, but I know that God is working in my heart. He wants me to make sure that my clothing choices are what He wants them to be. Choices that don’t cause others to stumble in their walk with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment