Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Without love

As I was reading through 1 Corinthians 13 today I had to stop after the first two verses. You see, I homeschool my children and we aren't having one of our better days. It's one of those days where we have done more arguing than studying... So the first two verses of this chapter really struck me hard today. They hit home in a powerful way.

If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. -- 1 Corinthians 13:1-2 (NASB)

You see, what I got out of reading this today was that it doesn't matter how much I teach my children about math, science, history, reading, writing, or even the Bible and faith in Jesus, if I don't show them how to love. Knowledge without love is nothing.

I must admit that I have been a very noisy gong and a clanging cymbal all day today. I haven't been teaching my children about love because I have been so stressed out about all the other things that I wasn't teaching them about. When in truth I could teach them all the knowledge in the world, and inspire faith in them that could move mountains, but if I fail to show them and teach them about love it will all be for nothing...

I have been convicted, and I am praying for God to change me. I ask that you would pray with me as well, for where two (or more) of us agree about anything in prayer it will be done for us.

Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. -- Matthew 18:19

No comments:

Post a Comment