Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Giving forgiveness



Today I am faced with the opportunity to forgive something I never thought I would have to. I have to forgive something that others are faced with, but I didn't think it was something I would ever need to be concerned with. I'm not going to tell you what it is, because in truth, it doesn't matter. We all have situations where we are faced with forgiving someone when it's something that surprises us. There are so many verses flooding through my head at this point, but the one that speaks the loudest is James 1:2-3 ~ Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. In the next verse James goes on to say: Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. So while I am sitting here in tears as I write this, I can tell you that I am learning to trust God in a whole new way. I wrote a post last month about afflictions, and this is probably one that I could add to the list. It's something that could tear me apart, if I didn't trust God that He works ALL things together for His glory. All things... Even this? The answer is yes. Not just yes, but an outstanding yes! Why? Because of James 1:2-3. Because I need to consider this joy, because it will produce perseverance in so many ways. Choosing to forgive will help me to trust God in this situation. Instead of holding grudges I can choose to love unconditionally, keeping no record of wrongs. No record of wrongs. That isn't exactly easy, especially in this situation, but if I consider it joy, it will be that much easier. I truly believe that God will use this in my life to strengthen my faith.

What about you? Have you been faced with something surprising that you need to forgive? It's not easy, but God has forgiven us a multitude of sins, who are we to hold on to things that God has chosen to forgive?



30-Day Giving Challenge
The Giving Challenge. The giving challenge is taking on a whole new meaning today for me. Giving is something that we do everyday, but it isn't necessarily a challenge. Today, I am choosing to give forgiveness, and it is a challenge.





This post is also linked with Word Filled Wednesday. To read more Word Filled Wednesday posts click on the button above!

3 comments:

  1. Heather, this is such a moving post! You know my situation. Even though it was months ago it STILL hurts so this is def. something I needed to read today! The song is so moving! Thank you for this post! I'll be in prayer for you as your going through this (unknown) battle and am so encouraged by your strength! Thanks Heather! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Encouraging post, It's really hard to forgive, but as what you've said it's a choice to forgive, it we won't forgive, we are the one who suffers, forgiveness is not a feeling but a decision.

    Thank you for sharing this!
    Blessings!
    jhunnelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my favorite verses! Thank you for sharing. Have a wonderfully blessed day!

    ReplyDelete