Wednesday, August 10, 2011

In vain


You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain... ~Exodus 20:7

When most people think about the third commandment, they assume that it's talking about using God's name as a curse word, and while that would be one way to use His name in vain, I believe there are many other possibilities. When I looked up the definition I found that the dictionary describes the phrase "in vain" as in a disrespectful manner. Well, last night Mr. Amazing and I were watching a movie and the main character came into church late and then she started singing along with the rest of the congregation "Blessed Be Your Name" while she is lost in thought about something else. It got me thinking. How often do we take God's name in vain that way? How often do we go to church and start singing along while lost in thought about something else? That isn't worshiping God at all. I know that I have been guilty of this multiple times.

Next time you are singing a worship song, I encourage you to remember that doing so in a way that isn't devoted to God is virtually the same thing as taking His precious name in vain and thus breaking the third commandment.

For more Word-filled Wednesday posts, hop on over to internet cafe devotions:

No comments:

Post a Comment