Saturday, October 9, 2010

Book review break down!

A few weeks ago I found a wonderful blog thats sole purpose was to review children's books and post the reviews for moms to read. I love it! You can visit "The Book Guardians" by clicking here. They have inspired me to include a breakdown list of every book that I review. My list is not just like theirs, because they wish to be original, and I totally respect that. But I thought I would share with you what I came up with.

I will have a slightly different version of the layout for Children's books than I do for the other books that I read. Here is the Children's breakdown list, including descriptions for what each one is going to be:

Children’s books:
Worldview: Does the book portrait a Biblical worldview or a secular world view?
Target Audience: What age level and who this book would be best for (boys, girls, potty training…)
Positive or Negative Message: Self explanatory…
Educational Value: What does this book teach?
Adult Content: Sexual innuendos/advances or mature (or rather immature) jokes…
Rude or Inappropriate Language: Self explanatory…
Disrespect or Rebellion: Self explanatory…
Drug or Alcohol Use: Self explanatory…
Violent Content: Self explanatory…
Christian Content: Self explanatory…
Incorrect Biblical Facts: Self explanatory…
Negative Spiritual Elements: Anything that goes against what the Bible says (including but not limited to other religions, witchcraft, and magic)

Here is a copy of the adult non-fiction breakdown. Since I already described most of the points, I am going to fill this one in with my review of "The Gospel According to Jesus" by Chris Seay:

Adult Non-fiction Books: The Gospel According to Chris Seay I mean Jesus...
*Worldview: Secular
*Target Audience: Christians who surround themselves with pop-culture.
*Positive Elements: Chris Seay has some amazing ideas and supports them with Scripture, he just took them all to unbiblical extremes.
*Inappropriate Language: In one of the interviews between the chapters the guy being interviewed uses the word "crap" which to me is inappropriate. It was used in the sentence "they need to get their crap together." but I still think there were other words that could have been used...
*Unbiblical Content: He twists a few Scriptures to make them say things that they don't really mean. While he never used the word this book taught Christians to believe in karma (this also was supported by scripture... but is still very, very wrong!)
*Other Negative Elements: He wrote his own ten commandments!!! Seriously! AHHHH!!!! I will never get over that!

So there you have my book review breakdown lists. I would love your feed back!

2 comments:

  1. It sounds great! I am so encouraged to know that their are other moms who want to give their children only the best to read!

    ReplyDelete