Monday, June 13, 2011

Are you keeping score?

1 Corinthians 13:5b ~ "it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs."

How do you react when someone sins against you? Do you react in anger, or love? Is your first response resentment or forgiveness? Do you keep score so to say, do you remember all the times that they have messed up, or do you forgive and let it go?

There are so many ways we could look at this section of the verse, but when I was faced with an unexpected surprise several months ago, I remembered this verse. I could have reacted in anger, and said things to only make the person asking for my forgiveness feel that much worse, but that wouldn't have been very loving. I could also choose to hold this against them and bring up a ton of other things that really aren't related, but could be if I thought this sin went further than they were admitting. But that wouldn't have been very loving either, and to be quite frank, it wouldn't have been trusting either.

Tons of verses swam through my head that morning and these words from 1 Corinthians 13 were among them. Love is so important. Love helps us to forgive. Without love, there is no forgiveness. Without forgiveness we keep records of wrongs, and we react in anger instead of with mercy. Could mercy be considered an opposite of anger? Forgiveness shows mercy and compassion, instead of anger and hate. Love is being willing to forgive, even when it hurts more than words could say.

If we look at this from a different point of view, I sure am thankful that God isn't keeping record of my mistakes. I sin against Him more than I would prefer to admit, but He always forgives me. He keeps no record of wrongs, and He doesn't react to me in anger, but in love. I am so thankful for that. No matter how bad I screw up, God loves me. He loves me with Agape love, true love. I only hope that I can take that love, and love others the same way.

What about you? What are your thoughts on these words? Thoughts about forgiveness or about being quick to anger and/or holding grudges? Are there any verses that you think of?

No comments:

Post a Comment