Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The True Woman: Chapter 2


“Being a true woman demands fearless fealty to the authority of Scripture… the bedrock for being a true woman is the sovereignty of God, the covenant of grace, and redemption.”

What forms the bedrock of your life? Do you live under the authority of Scripture in ALL areas of your life? I know for me, my bedrock is a little shaky. I would love to live under the authority of Scripture, but I fall quite short.

This chapter was so convicting to me. Susan Hunt opened with the words: “The true woman’s purpose is God’s glory.” That just really speaks to me. Is that my purpose? I want it to be. But I don’t know that I could say that it is the reason I do the things I do. I want it to be… but it isn’t always. It’s like Susan Hunt said further down on the first page: “The true woman’s infallible rule for faith and practice is God’s Word. The new woman’s rule for faith and practice is her experience.” I am such a product of the world!

If I had Mary Fish’s father for a dad, he would constantly be asking me: “What? Are you idle my child?” The early American Christians looked to Scripture to find out what they should believe and how they should behave. They viewed their entire life and the world around them through the lens of Scripture, I want that!! However, in the world we live in, biblical truth has been replaced by personal experience. Before we can view life biblically, we must first overcome the world we grew up in, and we all know that that is only possible through Christ.

I so often hear the voice of the new woman coming out of me. I am filled with unrestrained, immature selfism. God has really been using this book to show me that I must move from casual observation to trench warfare if I ever want to become a true woman of God. I need to theologize rather than psychologize my life, and I need to do so now.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this! I think I really needed to hear this today! I've had a rough morning, and the 'new woman' has certainly been coming out in me. I can not say that I've been living under the authority of the Word this morning. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gail, I think I need to read this every day! :( I hope your day gets better.

    ReplyDelete