Monday, June 6, 2011

Feminist product of the world

If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you. ~ John 15:19

Most Christians have heard at one point or another that we are to be in the world, but not of the world. I think that most of us would be surprised at just how worldly we really are. Sure, we don't TRY to be of the world, but we were raised IN the world. I'm not excusing worldliness by any means, but I am just becoming increasingly aware of the world in my life.

An example?

The feminist movement. I was that girl in Junior High that argued with the youth leaders about how sexist the Bible was. I was the girl that went to college for automotive technology and gave the guys a run for their money. I was the girl that wouldn't be caught dead in a dress. I was the girl on the football team. I was the living, breathing, feminist movement. What changed? I actually met Christ. He became more than words on a page and entered my heart. I am by no means the picture perfect Christian woman, but I now only wear skirts and dresses (not legalistically, and I would never look down on anyone for wearing pants), and I know for a fact that the Bible isn't sexist, but rather holds women in very high regard.

Somewhere along the road, women (myself included) got so caught up in 'our rights' that we forgot that God calls us to lay down our rights for Him. He doesn't want us to cling to our rights and fight for them with every fiber of our being. He knows we have the 'right' to dress however we choose, but is more impressed when we lay down that right to dress in a way that is pleasing to Him. Yes, we have the right to stand up for ourselves and our rights, but it pleases God more when we lay down that right, to stand up for Him and His Word.

This isn't the culture that we live in. Our culture screams at us to look out for number 1. I agree with that 100%, however the world will tell us that we are number 1, when in reality God is number 1. We should do everything, and think every thought for Him, not for us.

Most women today scream for their rights. When it comes to talks about modesty, submission, or even just happiness, Christian women will tear each other apart. Why? Because of our rights. We have the right to dress as we choose, live as we choose, and talk as we choose, and no one has the right to tell us any different. That is our mentality. I have seen more disputes among Christian women who are defending their rights then in any other situation. We don't want to lay down our rights, not for our husbands, and most certainly not to God or His Word. The problem is that we are too busy worrying about our rights to see it any other way.

Yes, we all have rights, but it takes a much bigger person to lay down those rights then it does to stand up for them. Look at Jesus. He had the right to be God, but He laid down that right to become a human, and die for us. Not just any death, but death on a cross. He laid aside ALL of His rights for us, why can't we do the same for Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment