Saturday, June 11, 2011

Love is Kind

Here's another addition to my 1 Corinthians 13 study:

1 Corinthians 13:4b- …love is kind...

Being kind is something that I often think that I have mastered, but I haven’t… Being kind is actually really complex. To be kind is to be friendly, generous, tender-hearted, sympathetic, compassionate, considerate, gentle, thoughtful, merciful, and helpful. I also found a Scripture that implies that kindness isn’t quarrelsome (2 Timothy 2:23-25). I might be all of those things some of the time, but most certainly not all the time. Kindness is also a fruit of the Sprit (Galatians 5:22) it can be conveyed by our words or our actions. However, kind words can be cancelled out by unkind actions and vice-versa… Proverbs 11 talks about kindness winning respect, but being unkind only brings trouble. Being kind can cheer someone up, and it can make you feel good too!

Proverbs 14:21 says: “He who despises his neighbor sins, but blessed is he who is kind to the needy.” This made me think of the story of the Good Samaratin.

There are so many ways to be kind or show kindness to others. In Acts 17:14 it is recorded that God shows kindness to us by sending the rain, thus providing us with food. Acts 24:4 suggests that an act of kindness can be as simple as hearing someone out, making time for them, and just listening and in Acts 28:2 the islanders show Paul kindness by being hospitable. There are so many examples of ways to be kind in the Scriptures! I was amazed while looking through some of them. We can be kind by listening, by being silent, by showing hospitality, by saying nice words, by forgiving someone (Eph. 4:32) or by being stern (Rom. 11:22).

“But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked.” -- Luke 6:35

I am looking forward to learning more about kindness. I can’t wait to hear your thoughts and the verses that you came across! (Well, I can… but you know what I mean. I will be patiently awaiting your replies.)

“Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.” -- Ephesians 4:32

No comments:

Post a Comment