Saturday, June 25, 2011

The Princess Dress

I am planning on sewing civil war outfits for a homeschooling endeavor next fall for the whole family this summer. I am waiting for the first of those patterns to arrive, so I thought that I would practice my sewing skills while I waited (I'm not exactly what one would classify a 'good' sewer). So today, I made the girls a dress:


They absolutely loved the many 'fittings' that I had them do. They call it their princess dress (which is code for I need to make another one so that they both have one). It turned out pretty well! I'm happy, they're happy, we're all happy :D



This dress holds a couple of firsts for me. It was the first button hole I have ever done, as well as the first time I have done a blind hem (I think that's what it's called). I'm so thankful that I got to watch my mom do the hidden hem stitch thingy at Christmas so I knew what I was doing! And I'm also thankful that my sewing machine has excellent directions for button hole sewing :) Oh the joys of automatic stitching ;)


I did get the button hole a little further over then I wanted... but considering it was my first one, I'm more than happy with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment